Doing an addition on your New Jersey home may seem daunting. On top of the stressors of new construction, you also want to make sure that the new addition will blend with your current home.
According to an article written on Patch there are 8 “Must-Knows” when putting an addition onto your home:
- An addition will forever change the layout of the house, so keep the flow of the home in mind and how the addition will change the existing feel.
- Create a thorough and detailed wish-list. You can always prioritize it once you consider all elements. This is a great way to find out what you really want out of your addition.
- Legal Restrictions – be sure you are allowed to extend your structure and that it meets all ordinances, zoning restrictions, and rules.
- Know your budget – don’t lose track of the cost. Know what you plan to put in and if that will add value to your home.
- Materials – when adding on, try to match the existing exterior so your addition will look original. If a perfect match is not possible, choose material with the same tones and textures.
- The details matter – a well designed addition will incorporate key architectural elements from shingles to gutters to windows to trim.
- Remember the landscaping –include these elements in your overall plan to ensure proper flow from indoors to outdoors.
- Plan for some chaos – depending on the size of the addition remember that your home will not be back to normal for quite some time.
With all of these factors in mind, it’s important to have a professional on your side to help guide you through the process. At HHTA, our architects and builders are here to ensure that your NJ Home Additions go smoothly. You have enough on your plate to worry about, let us take the responsibility of giving you the beautiful home addition you’ve been wanting!